Friday 7 February 2020

Hope versus happiness

The concept of 'hope' is usually postulated as something positive, as a driving, positive emotion or feeling that keeps one going in times of adversity. Yet, as I have on many occasions found, 'hope' is generally the prelude to disappointment, setbacks or worse. I would classify it as a primarily negative feeling, as it explicitly makes clear that things aren't right or fine, with one banking on a chance that things will somehow turn out okay.

Hope and happiness are also mutually exclusive as a consequence. If one feels hope, one is not and cannot feel happiness, at least not in any sense that conveys permanence and doesn't feel like daydreaming. Happiness implies permanence, stability and a sense of being at peace. Hope implies uncertainty, nervousness and the possibility of accepting bad news, an upheaval in one's living situation, or worse.


I find myself pondering these thoughts as I have somehow found myself back in the medical system after previously having settled on leaving the diagnosing of my intersex condition's characteristics as an unfinished project. Whether or not my current symptoms have anything to do with said condition I do not know. That's rather the point of this upcoming exercise, after all.

At my current GP's office it has quickly become clear that these symptoms of weight gain, a distended abdomen with apparent fluid inside it, along with bowel obstruction and persistent pain and discomfort in the perineum require a quick and thorough diagnosis. Which is why I have been referred to a larger hospital that has the resources and capability to handle such a case. Next week is the first appointment and the presumably first series of tests.

It's hard for me to pin down what my thoughts on this all are. On one hand I'm relieved of course that something is happening, and what's happening inside my abdomen will be diagnosed. On the other hand I'm both struggling with my too many memories of medical systems over the years, as well as a range of emotions including uncertainty and hints of fear. One never knows what will be found, after all.


What's different this time around is that I'm not at the hospital to have an intersex condition diagnosed, but for worrying medical symptoms which could have any number of underlying causes. It's in one way reassuring, because it means that it is not connected to those years of unpleasant medical experiences, yet it is very much the opposite of reassuring in the sense that something is decidedly wrong with my body, just that it hasn't been determined yet what is wrong and how to fix it.

Thus hope remains.

Depending how things go these coming weeks, it could all turn out fine, in which case I'd feel a lot happier. This is what I hope for, obviously. But hope doesn't come with guarantees. Reality is not concerned with what my wishes, hopes or dreams are. I only get to accept whatever comes my way. Whatever that may be. After over a decade of 'just taking it', it's not something that comes easily to me any more.


Between the relief of my body finally making its way through the final stages of puberty, and these worrying symptoms, I'm not sure what to think or feel. Is there a correlation? Is it a sign of something positive that just needs some surgical tweaking? One's thoughts just keep spinning in a circle. Hoping. Feeling uncertain. Trying to ignore it.

All I can do is hope and wait until next week's appointment. Meanwhile continue as normal. In so far as possible.


Admittedly it would be pretty cool if part of these symptoms are me growing that mature uterus and ovaries. First case in the medical literature, for sure.


Maya

No comments: