Thursday 12 December 2019

Confronting severe ascites

I have written a few times before about my suspicion of having ascites [1]. As the symptoms have progressed from a grade 2 (bulging flanks) to the most severe grade 3 (>2L of fluids in abdomen), I have finally convinced myself to go to a doctor with it. With a bit of help from a friend who made the appointment for me, I'll hopefully find out a bit more during tomorrow's appointment.

It's disturbing enough by itself to look at oneself in the mirror and see an abdomen that would befit a 9-month old pregnant woman, while tapping one side of the abdomen causes ripples to travel across the skin to the other side of the abdomen. My best guess is that around five liters of fluid has collected in the abdomen at this point, with it clearly causing intense discomfort inside my abdomen, along with symptoms such as shortness of breath.

Looking up information on ascites, it's not a cheerful picture that one gets, as most cases of ascites are due to a small number of causes: one's liver is dying, one's kidneys are failing or one has some type of cancer. Though I'm fairly certain that it's neither of these three options, it's nevertheless a sobering realisation of the potential severity one might be dealing with.

Depending on how quickly the underlying cause will be found, I could be looking at severe dietary restrictions (low-sodium), regular draining of the fluid from the abdomen and other assorted fun. Considering that the Holidays are right around the corner, getting quick help seems unlikely. All one can do is hope for the best.


Merry X-Mas, I guess.


Maya


[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascites

No comments: