Tuesday 4 June 2013

Farewell Frekie, We Will All Terribly Miss You

This morning I got informed by friends that a good friend of mine, Freek ('Frekie') van Niekerk was shot and killed during what appears to be a robbery. He lived in South-Africa after finishing his studies in the UK. His family and friends, myself included, will all miss him terribly. You can read a news article about it (in Afrikaans) here: http://www.dieburger.com/nuus/2013-06-01-pa-ken-sy-seun-26-se-lyk-uit

For me this seems all so terribly surreal. I met Frekie online years ago when I was busy with fansubbing Japanese anime series. I know him as an always happy and cheerful person, who on many occasions has supported me when I was going through difficult times. Just typing this is extremely hard for me. Just thinking about it all causes me start crying. It's just horrible to realize how such a wonderful person's life was cut short because one or more individuals wanted to steal his laptop and phone. It's the most senseless kind of death, leaving all of us behind with a sensation of terrible loss.

I do hope they capture those responsible so that some justice can take place, but I realize all too well that we won't get Frekie back with this.

We miss you, Frekie.


Maya

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Arigatou Gozaimasu. (You probably know what that means :P)

Daniel van Niekerk (Younger Brother)

Spiffelight said...

I had no idea, today in 2019 I was wondering where Dustfox were, no updates on his accounts - and your post comes up. I missed you Frekie, and now I can't even reach out to you. Rest in peace.

Vila i frid min vän Frekie, en av få personer på internet som jag kände närmast koppling till att vara en riktig vän.